UPDATE ON COVID-19
In the framework of the Hellenic Authorities’ guidelines on dealing with the spread of COVID-19, all passengers are required to fill out the "Public Health Questionnaire”and submit it to the ship's competent financial officer along with their ticket, while boarding the ship and before it departs. You can download this questionnaire here.
Learn how to protect yourself and others from the spread COVID-19
A series of measures on shipping and sea tourism, which will be set in force starting Monday, May 18 and apply until June 15th, were agreed during consecutive meetings held under the presidency of the Minister of Shipping and Island Policy, Mr. Giannis Plakiotakis, with the participation of the Public Health General Secretary, Mr. Panagiotis Prezerakos and the Expert Infectious Disease Specialists Committee and officials of the Ministry.
Referring to these measures, Mr. Plakiotakis stressed that “in close collaboration with the experts and in combination with the focused measures we applied in due time, we managed having a very limited number of cases in our islands. Now, we are planning step-by-step the next day in ship transportation, setting rules and guidelines aiming to protect by the highest degree the health of ship passengers and crews, as well as Public Health in all islands. Further removal of limitations in ship transportation will be constantly reconsidered and will exclusively depend on us and the consistency in the application of measures”.
In particular, the following were agreed:
A) Guidelines for the prevention and response to COVID-19 cases in passenger ships and ferryboats performing local sea routes and in international routes of ships bearing Greek flags. The guidelines will apply from May 18th, 2020 to June 15th, 2020 and will mainly focus on the following:
- Determination of the maximum number of traveling passengers to 50% of the total passenger capacity stated in the ship's safety certificate, or, to 55%, when cabins are available.
- Temperature measurement and filling out a special health status questionnaire before embarking the ship, with the questionnaire retained by care of the ship company. The questionnaire will also be available online.
- Maintaining a 1.5 m distance during embarkation, disembarkation and in all ship areas.
- Use of one cabin by one (1) individual, unless a cabin is used by a family (first degree relatives), in which case it can be occupied by 4 individuals or Individuals with Disabilities and their companions.
- Use of masks (fabric masks recommended) by passengers and crew members.
- Special configuration of passengers sitting in airplane seats (one seat will be occupied and one will be vacant - adjacently, in front of and behind the seat used).
- Temperature measurement and submission of special health statement before departure for passengers of international routes ships in the Greece-Italy lines.
- Provision of information to passengers with regard to the measures, supplying EODY brochures and playing information spots and sound messages.
- Special training for crews.
- Application of personal hygiene and protection rules and supply of antiseptics stations at various areas of the ship.
- Ship cleaning and decontamination.
- Ship ventilation and air-conditioning.
- Management of suspect cases (isolation at a special area, disembarkation at the next port which is equipped with all necessary resources for responding to the case, contact tracing etc.).
- Passenger service areas operation rules (bars, restaurants, dining rooms).
B) Procedures during mooring of yachts arriving from a foreign country, following the removal of the restrictive measures of response to the COVID-19 pandemic. The guidelines will apply from May 15th, 2020 to June 15th, 2020 and will mainly focus on the following:
- Private and professional yachts (except for cruise ships) arriving from foreign countries will be allowed entry to ports, marinas and shipyards of continental Greece, provided they do not carry passengers and under specific health terms, following the approval of the competent Port Authority.
- Port calls for ships arriving from foreign countries, for which special restrictive measures still apply (e.g. Turkey), are still prohibited.
- Obligatory performance of tests for all crew members and passengers at a certified laboratory (with expenses borne by the passengers).
- Application of the National Health Organization guidelines with regard to ships remaining in long-term mooring at ports during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Submission of shipping health statement.
- Provision of information to passengers with regard to rules and regulations on COVID-19 in effect, at the mooring port.
- Management of suspect or confirmed cases on board.
In order to avoid any operational issues due to the COVID-19 novel coronavirus, LEVANTE FERRIES has applied all indicated measures in due time, aiming to provide safe transportation of residents, constant supplies and uninterrupted communications between our islands and continental Greece.
LEVANTE FERRIES, always setting as its priority the health and safety of passengers, partners and seamen, has compiled and applied in all its ships an integrated Response Plan for the COVID-19 novel coronavirus, based on the guidelines of the National Public Health Organization (EODY), the World Health Organization (WHO) and the International Chamber of Shipping (ICS).
Today, all LEVANTE FERRIES crews have received training on the timely identification of COVID-19 symptoms and clear instructions they must follow in case of the occurrence of any symptomatic case on board, aiming to limit infection and protect the crew and passengers.
Carrying a strong sense of responsibility, LEVANTE FERRIES actively participates in the collective efforts to limit the spread of the COVID-19 novel coronavirus and applies all recommended protection and prevention measures in all its ships. In particular:
- The already diligent cleaning processes performed at its ships have become more frequent and more intense. Regular decontamination takes place in all common areas and air-conditioning units of its ships.
- Constant and sufficient ventilation is provided in all areas.
- Frequent cleaning and decontamination is applied to all smooth surfaces which are used often (e.g. door knobs, handles, stair railings or banisters, faucets etc.) using antiseptic solutions.
- Strict guidelines have been ordered to avoid overcrowding on board the ships. Unnecessary contacts between crew members, crew-passengers and passengers must be avoided during their stay in one of our living rooms or while embarking and disembarking the ships.
- The company is compliant with the restrictive provisions on overcrowding, according to 07-04-2020 JMD (Government Gazette B 1209).
- All seamen have been requested to diligently comply with Hygiene Rules, particularly with regard to proper hand washing.
- A Task Force has been created in all Group ships, consisting of the Captain, First Officer and Chief Steward, aiming to respond to any possible novel coronavirus case on board.
- A Pre-Embarkation Checking System is applied in order to identify passengers or crew members with suspicious symptoms and prevent their embarkation.
- When symptoms occur during the trip, clear instructions have been provided to the ship's officers and crew members with regard to the case management and isolation of the individual in a special area of the ship, followed by tracing of all his/her contacts and provision of specific guidelines to them for monitoring their health during the next 14 days.
- Updates and awareness information are provided to passengers and crews, with regard to the infection symptoms, prevention measures and hygiene rules, using informative posters.
- All ships have been equipped with all provided Personal Protection Equipment (single-use masks and gloves), cleaning and antiseptic solutions.
All of us at LEVANTE FERRIES assure you that we will do whatever it takes to ensure your and our protection and we kindly request for your understanding and cooperation. Together we will overcome the coronavirus and soon we’ll be travelling together again, to all our beautiful islands!